Is it time to get help?
If you’re a parent, you’re concerned about your teen or young adult. You feel confused, frustrated, and exhausted from trying to guide your child in the right direction. Whether your teen takes you on an emotional rollercoaster or completely shuts you out, you’re out of ideas. Parents often worry that their teen is dealing with life’s challenges in all the wrong ways. Perhaps you see your teen struggling with mental health issues and want to get help by starting teen therapy in New Jersey.
We all deserve a safe space
If you’re a teen, you’ve gone through a lot in the last several years. Life experiences have taken their toll on you. You don’t feel like the person you used to be, or want to be. Lately, life has been overwhelming. You feel lost. However, you know you want to feel better. Maybe you don’t have a safe place to get support or guidance. People in your life are suggesting you start therapy. Or perhaps you’re ready to try therapy, either for the first time or with a new therapist. If you’re seeking therapy as a teen or young adult, we’re here to help.
Why teen therapy in New Jersey?
It can be challenging to know when it’s time to seek help. Therapy is often recommended to someone by a pediatrician, school counselor, or relative. Other times, teens start therapy because their daily lives are disrupted or dysfunctional. So what are the signs to look for? These could include:
- Increase in risk-taking
- Withdrawal from friends and family
- Recurring thoughts about death or dying
- Sudden change in grades or school attendance
- Poor eating habits resulting in weight loss or weight gain
- Irregular sleep schedule, like staying up all night and sleeping all day
Consider Meeting with a Teen Therapist in New Jersey
Remember that you don’t have to have a mental illness or a behavioral disorder to seek therapy with a teen counselor in New Jersey. Teens can come to therapy to work through a variety of issues. Common reasons for teens in New Jersey seeking therapy include (but are not limited to):
- Mood swings
- Family conflict
- Substance abuse
- Disordered eating
- Loss of motivation
- Difficulty concentrating
- Traumatic events or bullying
- Gender and sexual identity issues
- Ongoing arguments with those closest to you
Teen Counseling in Metuchen, NJ
Parents, we know it’s hard to see your child struggle. You and your family don’t have to walk alone on this parenting journey anymore. We want to help you communicate and connect with your child. Our teen therapists in Metuchen, New Jersey are passionate about working with developing minds and personalities. Our therapists are trained in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Family Systems, and Solution-Focused Brief Therapy. We want to provide your child with a safe space in therapy, while also keeping you involved throughout the therapy process.
Therapy for teens and young adults means providing a nonjudgmental environment with openness and honesty. Therapy is a collaborative experience, where a teen and therapist work together to create change. Teens in therapy can expect to learn coping skills, practice better habits, and better understand themselves. Parents of teens in therapy can learn more about how to support their teens, express their concerns, and form healthier relationships with their children.
Therapy for teens in New Jersey is available
- Read our FAQs about therapy.
- Fill out a request form on our contact page to schedule a therapy appointment.
- One of our compassionate team members will contact you within 1 business day (excluding holidays) for a phone consultation. The initial phone consultation is complimentary and helps us learn more about how we can help.
- During the initial phone consultation, our compassionate team member will ask about what you’ve been struggling with, or what you hope to achieve in therapy. We will share information about each of our therapists, including their specialties and availability.
- If we’re a good fit for your needs, we match you with one of our in person or online New Jersey therapists. If either of us feel we are not the right fit, we can provide the names of other providers who may be able to help.
In Person Therapy for Teens in New Jersey
If your child does not thrive in a virtual environment, in person therapy in Metuchen, NJ for your teen is available. Many children and teens have experienced burnout, eye strain, and other health issues from extensive screen time. Instead of adding more time in front of a screen, your teen can meet with their therapist in person.
Our in person teen counselors offer engaging activities during sessions. This could include drawing, writing, or playing a therapeutic game. This can help teens open up and engage with the counselor, which increases their chances of success in therapy.
Online Therapy for Teens in New Jersey
If your child is resistant to attending therapy, consider online therapy in New Jersey. This is often an easier way for teens to attend their first session. Many children and teens feel most comfortable at home, rather than going to a stranger’s office. They often enjoy showing their therapist their room decorations, hobbies, or pets. This can help them open up and engage with the counselor, which increases their chances of success in therapy.